Sunday, September 23, 2012

Take me back to the ball game


We got up fairly early Friday but didn't get going to soon because some members of the family (not me) had downloaded the new operating systems for their apple products over night so we had to discover what it did. So a lot of time was spent asking Siri stupid questions and laughing at her answers. When we finally got on the road it was off to Harvard University we went.

After passing another cemetery (smile),




we joined on a tour of the campus. 


So much history in that school and so many beautiful buildings. It was really interesting. 




Statue of John Harvard.

Then, as its all about the food, we had to go somewhere for lunch. Of course! I over heard a lady asking our tour guide where Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage was. Intrigued we followed the directions and found it. It was packed. 



We had to wait for a table and were served by Mr Bartley himself. 



All the burgers had weird names. The waitress said the iPhone was the most popular. I had the Tom Brady (quarterback for the New England Patriots - the football team of the area) personally I'm not a fan of Tom Brady but his burger was great. Caitlin had the Joe Biden and Alex the Wes Welker (another footballer for the Patriots). 



The photo really doesn't show the chaos in the place. But it was definitely an experience.



On the way back home we stopped at a great Farmers Market that is on Fridays and Saturday in the city. 




Picked up all these goodies for only $5. Unbelievable!!




Then it was home to get ready for the Game. We were off to the baseball. Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox. 



All I remembered about Fenway Park was what I saw in the movie Perfect Catch (Fever Pitch - in the US) with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon and the big green wall dubbed the 'Green Monster'. Being there was so cool. I sat next to a guy named Jim O'Connor who said he had been coming to this field since before I was born. It was great. He filled me in on some rules I didn't know and provided some entertainment with us 'crazy Australians'. He was a New England Patriot supporter and tried to convert me but I won't hold that against him. We cheered our little lungs out but nothing could help the Boston Red Sox win. 



Panorama shot with the new iPhone systems upgrade
 on Alex's iPhone. Pretty cool, I guess.

The Sox went down 4 - 2 against the Baltimore Orioles. Then it was back on the Subway with thousands of other people for the ride home. They were packing us in like sardines, but we made it.



Today, Saturday, we are heading off to Washington DC by train. So far we are halfway through our 8 hour trip and I am still convinced that the train is the way to go. Bit of reading, some lunch in the dining car and a bit of sleep. Bliss!!


Unitl next time...


No comments: